What is the best deep conditioning treatment to repair dry, damaged hair?
The condition of your hair is often thought to be directly related to the different hair types. However, frizziness isn’t usually a side effect of curly textured hair, it can be a big tell-tale that you have dry, damaged strands. In this case, a conditioning deep hair treatment may be the perfect solution for you!
For centuries, around the world, people have been using nourishing natural products for hair masks to improve the health of their hair. A single treatment can make your hair soft, manageable, and shiny! While using them on a weekly basis will repair your damaged hair and reduce frizz and fly-aways. These nutrient-packed and moisture-rich hair masks can help rejuvenate your hair.
Let’s dive deep into what a deep conditioning treatment is. We will also look at how you can create DIY hair masks in the comfort of your own home, regardless of your hair type.
- What is a deep conditioning treatment?
- What is the best at-home deep conditioning treatment?
- How often should I get a deep conditioning treatment?
What is a deep conditioning treatment?
It doesn’t matter if you have curly hair, fine hair, or wavy hair. In fact, all hair types can suffer from damage inflicted from daily styling, hot tools, chemicals, sun exposure, and more. Although many factors can come between you and your good hair days, the main culprit is the lack of moisture.
A deep conditioning treatment is a nutrient-rich hair mask that is applied to the hair to keep it hydrated. Not only do these treatments make your hair more manageable, but proper use of deep conditioning can also help your hair to grow healthy and shiny. The extra hydration maintains your sebaceous glands to ensure they are producing sufficient sebum to moisturise your hair strands. Oil-based treatments are suitable for all hair types and textured hair and it helps to lock in moisture.
What are the benefits of a deep conditioning treatment?
Moisture fills any gaps in the structure of your hair that results in healthier hair – which is especially important for coarse textured hair. Whether the treatment is oil-based or water-based, your hair will receive plenty of hydration. This restores your shine and reduces frizz.
Furthermore, deep conditioning helps your hair grow because your scalp and hair shaft are receiving plenty of nutrients. Additionally, when your hair is in the best condition, breakage and split-ends don’t occur which enables your hair to grow properly.
- Hydrates your hair:A deep conditioning treatment helps improve your hair’s moisture content and keeps it hydrated. Hair masks contain humectants that draw moisture to your hair shaft.
- Reduces damage:Dry hair is simply damaged hair. Regular use of hair masks improves the health of your hair by providing it with nutrients that are vital to reduce damage.
- Increases shine:By adding moisture and nutrients to your hair, a deep conditioner will make your hair softer and shinier.
- Strengthens your hair:Deep conditioners contain nutrients that help reduce breakage, repairing your hair from within, and strengthening your follicles. It can aid in your hair growth as well.
What is the best at-home deep conditioning treatment?
Choosing the best at home treatment for your hair depends greatly on your hair type and also what suits your lifestyle. Generally speaking, the thicker your hair is, the thicker and more intense treatment you need.
Some products take longer to prepare than others which aren’t ideal for people with busy lifestyles. Whereas some treatments can be easily applied before washing your hair. Several ingredients that are found in your kitchen can be used as a perfect hair mask to deep condition your hair.
Here are some deep conditioning treatments to try:
1. Coconut oil and honey hair mask (best for damaged hair)
As a homemade mask, this coconut and honey hair treatment effectively repairs dry, damaged hair. Honey has been used to moisturise hair and skin for years. It contains vitamins, minerals, and enzymes that help in repairing damaged hair textures. Whereas coconut oil is used to strengthen hair follicles and is also a great moisturiser.
How to use:
- Half a cup of warm coconut oil
- Mix it with half a cup of honey
- Apply it to your hair from roots to tip and rinse off after 1 hour
Argan oil is a great moisturiser that can benefit your hair in many ways due to all the fatty acids it contains. This oil is also rich in vitamin E which lubriates your strands to prevent dryness and reduce frizz.
How to use:
- Apply warmed oil to the scalp and massage well
- Saturate throughout all the strands of your hair
- Leave in for at least 30 mins to one hour and then shampoo and condition as usual
3. Black seed oil
An age-old product used to moisturise the scalp, ease dandruff and leave you hair feeling silky. The oil is loaded packed full of fatty acids, vitmain E, and minerals – additionally it’s a natural emollient. Black seed oil is suitable for all hair types and can be left on overnight or massages into your scalp and left on for a few hours.
How to use:
- Apply a few pumps into the palm of your hand and rub your hands together
- Starting at the tips, work the oil throughout the lengths, up to your scalp
- Leave on overnight or for a few hours and wash our with shampoo and conditioner
How often should I get a deep conditioning treatment?
Different hair types require hair masks more or less often. If you have very fine hair it is best to just use this treatment once a month. Over-conditioning your hair causes a moisture-protein imbalance and will weigh it down. If your hair is textured, curly, or quite dry, you should deep condition as frequently as once a week to maintain a moisture level in your hair that keeps it soft and manageable. For severely dry hair it is recommended to use a deep hair treatment twice a week and leave it on for longer periods, like overnight with a hair cover.
Your hair goes through a lot on a daily basis. Hair masks are a wonderful elixir for your hair that offers quick fixes for almost all your dry hair woes. You can achieve healthy, soft, and luxurious hair if you use deep conditioning treatments regularly that are best for your hair type. It is a crucial step for a healthy hair regime. Hair masks are formulated with rich and potent ingredients that are very healing for dry damaged hair.
Free hair analysis from Europe's No.1
Our team of experts analyse your hair to provide you with a no-obligation quote. Use our free hair calculator to submit your requirements - it only takes 2 minutes!