How does a hair transplant work?
Both men and women experience hair loss as a result of several factors, such as stress, genetics, alopecia, or health conditions. These conditions can cause thinning of hair, early hair loss, or a receding hairline.
Even though there are treatment options such as over-the-counter medications and topical, most people prefer hair transplantation because of its lasting results. A hair transplant procedure restores hair to areas with little or no growth. Furthermore, they are efficient for treating different types of hair loss.
So, this brings us to the most obvious question: “How does a hair transplant work?” Before we get into a detailed answer, let’s first learn about hair transplants.
- What is a hair transplant?
- How long does a hair transplant last?
- How is a hair transplant done?
What is a hair transplant?
This is a cosmetic surgical procedure that has been in use since 1950. The surgical procedure involves obtaining hair follicles from the donor area and transplanting them to the bald spots on the scalp. The follicles will promote hair growth as soon as the incisions on the scalp heal.
How long does a hair transplant last?
As you wonder how a hair transplant works, you might also wish to know how long the procedure will last. For your treatment to last a lifetime, you have to get it done by a professional hair transplant specialist.
After the procedure, a new outline of your enhanced hairline will grow. Even though the newly transplanted hair might fall out within two to five weeks in some patients, new hair will permanently grow back after a few months.
It could take up to six months for you to see major changes in the way your hair grows. Experts suggest that you’ll notice the entire results of the transplant process after twelve months.
A lot of factors could influence the lifespan of hair restoration, such as:
- Hair type
- Degree of hair loss
In such cases, you might need several types of procedures to get the required results.
How painful is a hair transplant?
Even though a hair transplant is not painful, there is still some discomfort; no matter how benign or minimally invasive an operation is. You need to be aware of what it involves and the kind of discomfort you may feel.
- Before surgery
You’ll only feel real discomfort from numbing medication during hair transplantation. You’ll feel nothing throughout the day after the specialist has numbed the donor area.
- During surgery
You’ll go through the surgery with minimal discomfort. You’ll likely need to adjust and take breaks to stretch and walk around to avoid the discomfort of long periods of sitting, but the surgery itself will not cause you too much discomfort.
- After surgery
Patients report very little to no discomfort after surgery. After the surgery, your hair transplant surgeon will re-administer the numbing medication.
This gives you about 3 hours to get back home, settle down, and begin your pain medications before the numbness wears off. If you take the oral medication as instructed before the numbing wears off, you’ll transition nicely and feel little pain.
How is a hair transplant done?
During this procedure, the specialist removes individual hair follicles from the donor area at the back of the head and implants them into the area of the body that doesn’t have hair. In addition to transplanting head hair, this procedure is also used to transplant eyebrows and beard hair.
Hair is picked up in a cluster follicular structure by the latest permanent techniques. FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) and FUT (Follicular Hair Transplantation) are both types of hair extraction techniques. Learn what the difference is between FUE and FUE.
A hair transplant works as follows:
- Trimming of the donor area: The hair transplant specialists trim the hair of the donor area before hair transplant surgery begins.
- Preparation of the donor area for surgery: The doctor applies local anaesthesia to the donor area and recipient area.
- Getting ready for a hair transplant: The specialist removes individual hair follicles from the back of your head using follicular unit extraction (FUE) and puts them into a nutrient-rich solution.
- Preparation of the recipient area: Depending on the hair transplant technique (DHI, SDHI, Sapphire etc.) the channels for the hair grafts to be transplanted into are formed in the recipient area.
- Density-based placement of grafts: The hair follicles are inserted into the perfect direction of growth to achieve a natural appearance and density.
- Aftercare for hair transplantation: Medication and aftercare products are supplied to help reduce swelling
- Follow-up appointment: Following your hair transplant, you’ll have a follow-up appointment the next day to check how the healing process is going.
Will you be awake during a hair transplant?
Local anaesthesia is used for hair restoration, so you will be awake but will feel little pain. In most cases, patients watch a movie using their computer or iPad, which keeps them awake.Or they bring a book or listen to music.
What is the recovery process after a hair transplant like?
Each procedure takes most of the day to complete and it’s an intricate process. The extent of the work performed by the surgeon plays a part in this decision. As soon as the procedure is completed, you will be able to go home.
Your surgeon removes the bandages carefully after the operation and cleans the area. They will also teach you how to wash your hair for the first few weeks following your hair transplant.
Both the transplant site and the area from which hair was removed are likely to feel sore or painful for a few days. Your surgeon may prescribe the following during the coming days to prevent side effects:
- Pain medications
- Inflammatory medications to relieve swelling
- Hair growth medications
Aftercare tips for hair transplantation
- Don’t wash your hair for a few days after the surgery
- Use products provided by Elithairfor washing your hair
- Don’t use a comb or brush over the new grafts for about 21 days
- Avoid wearing hats or pullover shirts/jackets for some weeks
- Don’t exercise for about 7 days (as excessive sweating can affect the hair implants), and avoid the sun
Anyone can experience hair loss at any age. This is a very common problem and requires a hair transplant to solve, which will not only restore hair fullness but also restore confidence.
Elithair is the top hair transplant clinic in Europe. Our experienced team of specialists has helped over 35,000 patients to achieve thick, healthy hair. By using cutting-edge techniques, we achieve outstanding results.
Free hair analysis from Europe's No.1
Our team of experts analyse your hair to provide you with a no-obligation quote. Use our free hair calculator to submit your requirements - it only takes 2 minutes!