What are the benefits of using onion juice for hair?
Haircare tips have been flooding the internet for the last few years, with several new haircare products released in the market. Hair-growth serums and hair masks have been high in demand, with many brands using a range of hair oils in their ingredients. They typically include coconut oil and olive oil due to their numerous benefits, but onion juice for hair has also grown in popularity.
It’s incredible how many hair remedies that you can implement into your hair care routine from the comfort of your own home.
- Is onion juice good for hair regrowth?
- How can you use onion juice for your hair?
- How often can you use onion juice for your hair?
Is onion juice good for hair regrowth?
To date, several staple grocery products are used to produce natural hair care that can strengthen your hair and address any hair issues that you may have. Onion juice is used as a home remedy in many households due to the number of hair concerns that it has improved.
According to Healthline, Onions are high in dietary sulfur, which is a nutritional element that our bodies need. Sulfur is found within amino acids, components of proteins required for growing strong hair.
When onion juice is added to the hair and scalp, it can provide extra sulfur to support strong and thick hair, thus preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth.
The sulfur from onions may also help stimulate collagen production. Collagen, in turn, permits the production of healthy skin cells and hair growth. It’s also thought that onions boost circulation.
Applying onion juice on your hair and scalp increases blood supply to hair follicles, which in turn improves hair growth.
How can onion juice improve the health of my hair?
- Onions help strengthen the hair follicles by restoring the necessary nutrients to improve your hair health
- Can help fight the most common causes of weak hair, such as breakage, split ends, and hair thinning
- Contain potent antibacterial properties which can help you fight scalp infections
- Reverse the effects of premature grey hair
- The antioxidants found in onions can not only boost hair growth but can also prevent hair fall
- Reduces scalp issues such as inflammation, redness, and itching
- Reduces the appearance of dandruff
- Promotes hair regrowth
How can you use onion juice for your hair?
There are many ways that you can use onion juice to make home hair care products to stimulate hair growth and strengthen your hair. Have a look at our top recipe.
A step by step guide to making onion oil that lasts up to six months:
- Extract the juice of an onion
- Mix onion juice and aloe vera gel (or coconut oil) in a pot, and bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat, stir well and simmer for 15 minutes
- Wait for the mixture to cool before straining the oil and store in a container
- Using circular motions, massage the scalp with two tablespoons of the mixture
- Apply a shower cap or wrap with an old towel and allow the solution to work for 30 minutes
- After the treatment has finished, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Onions contain anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, which can help you grow your hair and enhance its healthy appearance. Mixing onion juice with aloe vera gel or coconut oil will leave your hair hydrated. This can prevent damage and maintain shiny and healthy hair.
How often can you use onion juice for your hair?
According to research into onion juice as a new topical treatment for alopecia areata. Researchers found that applying onion juice to the scalp twice a day resulted in hair growth after two weeks.
The results showed that 73.9% of participants had some hair regrowth after four weeks. At six weeks, 86.9% experienced hair regrowth. For a natural remedy for hair, apply onion juice either once and twice a week to your hair for visible results within four months.
Potential side effects:
There are many benefits to using onion juice in your hair. However, it’s important to be aware of the potential side effects and the best way to prevent them from occurring:
- You should not use onion juice in your hair if you are allergic, as contact with the skin can cause symptoms.
- One of the top side effects of using onion juice in your hair is a foul odour. Wash your hair immediately after your treatment to prevent this.
- For those with sensitive hair and skin, a patch test is recommended 24 hours beforehand. Onion juice can lead to further hair loss and may irritate the skin, causing redness and itching. The use of aloe vera or coconut oil may prevent this.
Not only is onion juice a cost-effective remedy to boost hair health and strength by using household ingredients that are easily accessible. You can use onion juice to make your very own hair products, including hair oils, hair-growth serums, and hair mask, saving you more money in the long-run.
Although you may avoid using onion juice for your hair due to the association of foul odour, there are a range of recipes that include ingredients to both improve the scent and other aspects of your hair’s health.
Free hair analysis from Europe's No.1
Our team of experts analyse your hair to provide you with a no-obligation quote. Use our free hair calculator to submit your requirements - it only takes 2 minutes!