Can I use aspirin for hair loss ?
Aspirin is a medication often prescribed to people for pain and inflammation. In some cases, it is used to reduce the risk of blood clotting in patients who are more likely to suffer a heart attack.
What you may not know is that aspirin for hair loss can also be an effective remedy for some baldness issues. This has become a trending topic, causing many people to turn to aspirin to improve the condition of their hair. At the same time, some are still wary of this potential benefit. Today, we look at what aspirin can do for your hair and how effective it may be.
What is aspirin and its alternative use for the hair ?
Aspirin was initially made from extracts derived from willow tree bark. It has been used as a natural analgesic since the Sumerian era. However, the painkiller we know today was synthesized only in 1899. The painkiller is one of the most used and best-selling medications in the world, and there is simply no household where it does not exist. But how exactly can aspirin for hair loss be used ?
Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid, which has various benefits for hair. This acid is a form of salicylic acid and helps to relieve dandruff in an easy and fast manner. Salicylic acid cleanses the scalp, removes dead cells and grease, and transfers oxygen to hair follicles. It also acts as a scrub and helps to relieve scalp inflammation.
By the way, most dandruff shampoos contain salicylic acid, the main component of aspirin. Due to its unique molecular structure, salicylic acid can deeply penetrate the scalp and thoroughly cleanse the pores, preventing the buildup of sebum and unclogging the hair follicles. Sebum is an oily secretion produced by the glands to moisturise and protect the skin.
Excessive production of sebum can clog hair follicles and slow down hair growth. Besides that, sebum also contains DHT, a hormone that causes hair loss on the head. Interestingly, when it comes to other body parts, DHT actually stimulates hair growth there. Studies have also proved the ability of salicylic acid to relieve scalp scaling, that can be caused by various conditions, such as a fungal infection, seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis.
Advantages and disadvantages of using aspirin for hair loss
If you have thin, dry, and chemically damaged hair, salicylic acid is not recommended for you.
Aspirin is best used on oily hair because of its ability to deep-cleanse and prevent the excessive production of sebum.
Some other benefits that you can expect from using aspirin for hair include:
- Aspirin can make your hair shinier. If your hair looks dull and lacks that sought-after gloss, then you should try out adding some aspirin to your shampoo.
- Aspirin may also be useful for people who find that their hair is growing too slowly. Using aspirin as a scrub for your scalp and hair stimulates the blood flow to the hair follicles and this, in turn, helps to increase the rate at which your hair grows.
- Some reports also claim that aspirin could potentially help restore your hair colour. The hair colour may fade due to hard water, heat styling, product buildup and daily exposure to bright sunlight and free radicals.
How can aspirin be turned into a hair care product ?
To use aspirin for hair loss, crush the tablets to make a powder. It can then be mixed with other ingredients and used as a shampoo or a hair mask. Your hair will become shiny already after the first use. However, to see other results of using aspirin for the hair, we recommend trying it once or twice a week within a month period.
If you wish to apply aspirin as a scrub on your scalp, do the procedure once a week only. As good as it can be for your hair, too frequent exfoliation may have a reverse effect and trigger excessive production of oil, as well as destroy the protective shield around the hair shafts.
Using aspirin as a hair mask
- To make an aspirin hair mask, mix 1-2 tablespoons of honey, two aspirin tablets and some water. Then apply the mixture onto the wet hair, let it sit for 30 minutes and thoroughly rinse it off with a shampoo. If you use some other hair mask, you can simply add some aspirin powder to it.
Aspirin in hair shampoo
- You must be wondering which shampoo is best in combination with aspirin. At Elithairtransplant, we always recommend using shampoos that are free from sulfate and parabens. Crush 3-4 aspirin tablets and add the powder in your shampoo bottle. Apply the mixture on wet hair, rub well all over the scalp, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
Conclusion: a note of advice on hair care products
Using aspirin for hair loss may bring some positive effects, such as more shine and colour on your hair and a healthy scalp without dandruff. It can also indirectly fight hair loss if the problem is triggered by clogged pores and excessive oil buildup on the scalp. However, we always stress that only a complex of measures will help to eliminate the problem at its root.
If various natural and homemade remedies do not have any effect in your case, you must consult a specialist that will identify the causes of your hair problems. Also, even if you do not suffer from any hair conditions, you should still choose the right hair care products that include natural ingredients and do not contain silicones, parabens, or sulfates. These ingredients can damage the structure of the hair shaft and make your hair more dull and brittle in the long run.
Do you have more questions ? Then don’t hesitate to contact our friendly team that will answer all your queries. Furthermore they can also propose a free and non binding hair analysis. So don’t hesitate if you want to benefit from Dr. Balwi and Elithairtransplant’s expertise for a successful and affordable hair transplant in Turkey !
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A 100% FREE AND
NON BINDING HAIR ANALYSIS
Ask now for a free, non-binding hair analysis. Our experts are at your disposal 24/7!