What are the main dry hair causes and solutions?
If you’re a fan of heat styling and dyeing your hair, then you’ll definitely be familiar with dry hair. Even more so, you’ll know that these things are the main dry hair causes. Although your hair can go through substantial hair styling before it shows signs of damage, it will eventually present itself. Dry brittle hair can lead to thinning hair when breakage becomes significant.
Dry hair is normally visible because it causes frizzy hair that has a straw-like texture. Because the hair strands are dry, your hair can appear dull and lacklustre. If you want to turn your dry hair into healthy hair, keep reading as we’ll give you some tips to regain your shine.
- What is dry hair a sign of?
- What are the main hair concerns that dry hair causes?
- Tips to fix this issue at home
- Hair treatments at home for dry hair
What is dry hair a sign of?
Dry hair is basically a sign of damage. It’s a sign that the hair shafts can no longer retain sufficient moisture to keep your hair looking healthy and shiny.
As more and more external elements cause damage to your hair, the more likely your hair is to become brittle. Brittle hair breaks easily, to rephrase it, dry hair causes excessive hair fall.
You can identify hair breakage because hairs of different lengths will fall out. They’re usually short and have split ends. If left untreated, your dry, brittle hair can worsen and cause further breakage. Additionally, spilt ends can continue up the shaft and cause extremely frizzy hair.
What are the main hair concerns that dry hair causes?
Dry hair causes great concern because it can indicate an underlying health problem. These health concerns include:
- Anorexia is an eating disorder. Due to the lack of nutrients taken in, because of the lack of food consumption, the body can’t function properly. Because of this, malnutrition causes dry and brittle hair along with other serious health issues.
- Hypoparathyroidism causes a decrease in the level of calcium in your blood. This low level of calcium has a negative impact on your hair health as well as your bones, teeth and other factors.
- Hypothyroidism causes your hair to become dry because your thyroid glands aren’t producing enough thyroid hormones. One of the first symptoms of hypothyroidism is dry and brittle hair.
- Menkes syndrome is a rare genetic condition that prevents your cells from absorbing the required amount of copper. Low levels of copper causes your hair to become dry.
Why is my hair so dry and frizzy after I shower?
On hair wash day, do you dread having to tame your hair after it dries? Dry hair causes frizziness, therefore applying nourishing oils while your hair is drying helps to maintain it.
Hair oils, like black seed oil and coconut oil, penetrate the hair shafts and thus enhancing moisture retention. Steam and humidity can make your hair frizzy because moisture gets into the strand which causes the cuticle to swell.
As a result of this swelling, your hair strands look bigger and “fly-aways” appear. This is also what occurs when it rains and our hair becomes fluffy-looking.
Curly, wavy and coily hair is more prone to experience frizz. Heat-treated hair, straightened for example, easily turns frizzy. This is due to the hair strands wanting to revert back to their natural curl pattern.
Tips to fix this issue at home
We know that hair damage is one of the main dry hair causes, though there are steps that you can take to reduce your hair damage.
The only solution isn’t just getting a hair cut. Here are some of the changes you can make to reduce your dry hair and subsequently frizzy hair.
- Stop using regular towels to dry your hair! These towels draw too much moisture from your hair which causes extremely dry hair. Make a smart swap and try using an old t-shirt to wrap your wet hair with. They are less abrasive which protects your hair.
- Use products that provide your hair with sufficient moisture. Your hair type greatly determines which products you should use. Fine hair that is grease-prone should be coated in as much oil as dry coarse, curly hair. So know your hair type before investing in products.
- Stop using so much heat. Allow your hair to dry naturally (air dry) instead of using heat to dry your hair. This heat dries out your hair strands which, as we know, leads to hair breakage. Every time you use heat to dry your hair you take the moisture out which worsens your hair damage. If you want to use heat styling tools then you should always use heat protection spray or oil. These hair products are effective not only when using a hair dryer, but also when using straighteners/curling iron.
- Allow your hair to dry before you brush it. After washing your hair it might be tempting to brush out any knots or tangled areas. However, your hair is elastic when it’s wet, so when you comb your hair you are stretching your strands.
- Use shampoo and conditioners that are designed for your hair type. When you wash your hair, you wash away natural oils as well as the build up of dead skin cells.
Hair treatments at home for dry hair
There are several treatments that you can apply to your hair at home to combat the causes of dry hair. These treatments help to smooth your strands and enrich them with moisture. Additionally, improving your diet helps to reverse dry hair causes.
- Hot oil treatment for dry hair
Try heating coconut oil in a saucepan until it is warm and in liquid form. Wait for the oil to cool enough so that it won’t burn your scalp. Then apply the treatment throughout your hair, while paying extra attention to your ends.
- Hair mask
You can create a natural hair mask using many items you can find in your kitchen cupboards. Banana, avocado and honey all contribute towards nourishing hair masks to counteract dry hair causes.
- Dietary changes
Your diet has a significant impact on your hair health. Therefore, if your hair is dry yet you’re hair care routine isn’t causing damage, then look at your diet. Consuming the right nutrients is important when ensuring that your hair is receiving all the proteins, vitamins that it needs.
Dry hair causes your hair to become frizzy as well as fall out. Hair styling (excessive heat), lack of moisture, and poor hair care all have damaging effects on your hair. In order to maintain soft, shiny and well-nourished hair, follow a routine that’s tailored to your individual hair type.
Free hair analysis from Europe's No.1
Our team of experts analyse your hair to provide you with a no-obligation quote. Use our free hair calculator to submit your requirements - it only takes 2 minutes!